Photo Source and Recipe | lemonsugar.com
I am a sucker for festively decorated baked goods. There is nothing better than a freshly baked batch of cupcake and these adorable bad-boys will no doubt please any company you may have this Valentines Day (or any day). The cupcake version of the classic candy, this decadent combination of dark chocolate and cherry is absolutely classic and the elegant presentation would make these a sophisticated dessert option when entertaining (or as a sweet treat for your boss). I always love it when food has an element of glamour and sophistication (it must be the fashion girl in me) and these are almost too pretty to eat. Almost.
· 2 cups sugar
· 1 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
· ¾ cup dark cocoa powder
· 1 and ½ teaspoon baking powder
· 1 and ½ teaspoon baking soda
· 1 teaspoon of salt
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· ½ cup vegetable oil
· ⅔ cup of boiling water
Dark Chocolate Ganache Filling:
· 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
· ⅔ cup heavy cream
· 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
Cordial Cream Filling:
· ½ cup confectioners sugar
· 4 Tablespoons heavy cream
· 1 teaspoon maraschino cherry syrup (optional)
· 1 can cherry pie filling
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Prepare two 12-cup cupcake tins with paper liners. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer whisk together your dry ingredients.
4. Add buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla and beat on medium/low speed for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in boiling water by hand.
6. Fill cupcake papers ½ to ⅔full, and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Do not overbake.
7. Remove from pans immediately and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
1. In a small glass bowl, heat cream and corn syrup in microwave until steaming hot but not boiling, about 60 seconds.
2. Pour chopped chocolate into hot cream, and allow to sit for 60 seconds.
3. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
4. Refrigerate ganache for 24 hours or until thickened (optional)
1. Combine milk, cherry syrup and confectioners sugar in a small bowl, and stir until well combined and smooth.
1. Cut a 1-inch deep well out of the top of each cupcake. You can use a small cookie cutter or a sharp paring knife.
2. Sprinkle confectioners sugar over the top of each cupcake.
3. Spoon or pipe a dallop of cooled ganache into each well.
4. Spoon a generous spoonful of cordial cream over the chocolate.
5. Spoon 1-3 cherries and glaze on the top of each well.
6. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, refrigerated if possible.
Enjoy with a cup of Cherry Blossom tea and your favorite human!